Increase Font Size
A resource for caregivers
My name is Aimee Henry and I have been invited to begin a Caregiver Blog for the residents of Waukesha County. I am a retired Social Worker who focused my career on helping families as they embarked on the roller coaster ride of caregiving. Over the years I have also experienced the caregiver role first hand, on many levels – from caring for aging in-laws and relatives battling cancer and dementia, to caring for a spouse during a three year fight with end stage kidney and liver failure, to my current role as a long distance caregiver for my aging mother who is homebound and blind. So as you can see, I have walked in your shoes!
Caregiving involves many challenges and you must make many difficult decisions while feeling multiple emotions at one time.
This Blog will not only be informative, but designed to help you maintain your personal well-being (which is paramount!), and a place to share supportive information and ideas for options and resources related to caring for an aging loved one. You should never provide care alone – you need a network of support – and your network starts here.
We will discuss:
• Difficult emotions and how we can learn from them.
• Personal stress, what causes it and how to cope with the ups and downs of being a caregiver.
• How to take care of yourself and how self-care affects the level of caregiving you can provide.
• The importance of communication with yourself, health care providers, family members and those you are caring for.
• How to set up a care plan and resources in the home.
• How to participate in activities to ensure good quality of life for your loved one.
I am very excited about this opportunity to share my thoughts and feelings with you and I hope that you will share your ideas and special moments with me.
I am always open to content suggestions, so let me know what you are thinking or looking for.
Have a blessed day.